Re: NMU procedure

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 03:29:05PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:

> > On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 02:41:32PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> >> If you ask me, I would say that providing a magic for file(1) as I said
> >> on debian-arm[1] would be more useful that NMUing a few hanging fruits.
> >> Lintian will annoy people with one tag per ELF object otherwise.

> > Um, that'll be a bug in lintian then.  There's no reason at all for
> > lintian to be spitting out tags on every package on the port for something
> > that's a detail of the upstream toolchain.

> Not saying it isn't, but not even dpkg knows about armhf.

> Point being: instead of spending time on low hanging fruits the tool chain
> should be adapted.

Well, you're simply wrong here.  Work is progressing on having dpkg handle
armhf, and that is entirely orthogonal to any question of distinguishing
armhf and armel ELF objects at the binary level.  Having the toolchain
identify the floating-point ABI in the ELF header is a valid wishlist
request that would be useful for more than lintian, but it's not relevant to
bootstrapping the port.