Re: Why is help so hard to find?

Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> writes:
> On Sat January 15 2011 18:02:06 Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Judging from further discussion, it looks like the reason why I've
>> never seen this is that I routinely purge deinstalled packages on all
>> my systems and most of the problems are with packages that have been
>> deinstalled but not purged and have obsolete init scripts.  I wonder if
>> we should suggest people consider doing that before the upgrade if they
>> don't have any old configuration files around that they care about.

> I don't think that will work, although I don't understand why.  Here's
> an example from one of our upgrade tests.  The package is installed
> but has obsolete conffiles and thereby caused insserv setup to fail.

It's the responsibility of packages to clean up obsolete conffiles as
they're upgraded.  If you run into the case of a package that's been
upgraded and not cleaned up its obsolete conffiles, and there isn't some
reason for that, that's worth a bug report.  Too late for this release,
probably, of course....