Re: Why is help so hard to find?

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 04:07:58PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Huh.  Every system I've upgraded had no problems.

> I find this strange, since every system that has ever been etch will
> have at least libdevmapper1.02 which stops insserv from migrating.

Judging from further discussion, it looks like the reason why I've never
seen this is that I routinely purge deinstalled packages on all my
systems and most of the problems are with packages that have been
deinstalled but not purged and have obsolete init scripts.  I wonder if we
should suggest people consider doing that before the upgrade if they don't
have any old configuration files around that they care about.

> * Conflicts:+Replaces: in insserv and overwriting the known-buggy scripts
>   (a nasty hack)

Given that they're conffiles, I don't think this will even work properly.