Re: Why is help so hard to find?

On Sat January 15 2011 18:54:01 Russ Allbery wrote:
> It's the responsibility of packages to clean up obsolete conffiles as
> they're upgraded.  If you run into the case of a package that's been
> upgraded and not cleaned up its obsolete conffiles, and there isn't some
> reason for that, that's worth a bug report.  Too late for this release,
> probably, of course....

That test box alone has 48 obsolete conffiles belonging to
19 installed packages.  And I'm not sure if current package
maintainers would look favorably on bugs filed regarding
obsolete conffiles left by previous versions of packages.

I wonder if there is anything that should be done at the dpkg
level to prevent obsolete conffiles remaining after an upgrade?

Clearly a gnarly dpkg-query pipe could rm them, although I
worry that there might be unintended side effects.

In any event, I don't think we need to worry about them at
this stage of the release cycle.

--Mike Bird