Re: Why is help so hard to find?

On Sat January 15 2011 01:59:06 Julien BLACHE wrote:
> insserv has issues, but it's still an improvement over the previous
> situation and, unlike the other new init systems, it's actually
> backward-compatible.

I have no objection to you using insserv.  I object to people
being tricked into using insserv.  It tends to break complex
systems and people should be warned about this danger rather
than being told that insserv is recommended and then making a
bad decision based on sysv-rc.postinst's faulty recommendation.

insserv is also irreversible, and if you restore /etc from
a backup without undocumented magic, insserv will destroy /etc
again.  That in my book seriously limits its compatibility.

For servers which may only be rebooted once a year, a second
saved in boot time is not worth the hassle, or even the mere
risk of hassle, due to actual or potential damage from insserv.

> KDE4 is crap, world+dog know that. Use GNOME, XFCE or whatever. If you
> want KDE3 in Debian, then put your money where your mouth is and
> come maintain it.

That is well known.  KDE 4 maintainers cannot keep up with
the bug reports now and will be totally overwhelmed when
Squeeze is released.  That is not what people expect of
Debian Stable.

The problem is that KDE 4 has moved to take over the package
namespace used by KDE 3.5.  This is totally unnecessary.
KDE 4 - the new package suite - can and should use new
non-conflicting package names.

KDE 4 packages should be able to co-exist alongside KDE 3.5,
at minimum within the package namespace, and ideally also
on the same workstation.  Trinity has achieved both, but
the upgrade from Lenny (including KDE 3.5) to Squeeze
(with KDE 3.5 from Trinity) is confusing because of all the
unnecessary package renaming.

If the KDE 4 maintainers would leave the KDE 3.5 package
namespace untouched, then it would be much easier for
people to continue to use KDE 3.5 whether as Debian
packages (preferred) or via external repositories such
as Trinity.

--Mike Bird