Re: UPG and the default umask

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:04:58AM -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:

> If you're using a non-UPG system, then you don't care. Debian is
> UPG-based, so your argument is invalid.

So you propose that Debian should be restricted to work in pure UPG
environments. Then there is no need to detect the environment and you
can just set a fixed umask.

If, however, we contemplate the thought that it might be desirable for
Debian to continue to work in other environments, then I think my
arguments are valid. And I think I have shown that it is not possible
to detect the specifics of that environment. No matter how much magic
you put into it. So again, you have to just set a fixed umask, because
everything would just be esotericism and not based on any rational reasoning.

Cheers,
harry