Re: perl: 64-bit integers and long doubles

On Wednesday 05 May 2010, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> > It would be possible to choose these settings separately for each
> > architecture. Should I exclude the 'smaller' architectures
> > (armel, mips*?)
>
> You could ask debian-arm@lists.debian.org and the other ports
> lists, but it seems reasonable to include 64bit support only on
> those architectures where there is native 64 bit support in the
> chipset.

I may be a bit late to this discussion, but aren't 64bit ints (and
especially pack/unpack "Q") very useful for 64bit file pointers and
such? IMHO, this means that they would also be very useful on
"smaller" architectures like arm.

In any case, there isn't really a strong connection with 64bit
instructions in the processor. An executable compiled for 32bit cannot
use those instructions anyway. So the issue is just perl's memory
usage compared to the memory usually available on such systems. Do you
have any experience how memory usage increases with 64bit support in
real life usage?

Cheers,
Stefan