Re: perl: 64-bit integers and long doubles

On 4 May 2010 22:54, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> wrote:
> unlike earlier versions, perl 5.12.0-1 in experimental is configured with
> the "use64bitint" and "uselongdouble" options on all architectures. I'm
> looking for input on whether this is the right choice for sid.

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I had intended to do this for 5.10, as
noted in #310995, but it appears to have slipped through the cracks at
the time.

> It would be possible to choose these settings separately for each architecture.
> Should I exclude the 'smaller' architectures (armel, mips*?)

You could ask debian-arm@lists.debian.org and the other ports lists,
but it seems reasonable to include 64bit support only on those
architectures where there is native 64 bit support in the chipset.

> A complication is that it's hard to change these settings after an upload
> to unstable because they change the binary interface. The perlapi-*
> dependencies specified in the Perl policy only allow for ABI breaks when
> the upstream version changes, so the transition would be a mess.
>
> See #579457 for an idea of how to make a cleaner transition possible;
> even with that, it would be very much preferrable to get this "right"
> the first time.

I suspect that you may be over-thinking this.  More comments in that
bug shortly.

--bod