Re: apt-diff: a tool to diff filesystem content against APT

[Osamu Aoki]
> As I read manpage of dh_md5sums, it states:
>        -x, --include-conffiles
>            Include conffiles in the md5sums list. Note that this
> information is redundant since it is included elsewhere in debian
> packages.

"Note that this information is redundant" - that's rich.  As though
the entire md5sums file weren't redundant.  (I.e., could easily be
generated at unpack time.)  People seem to hold on to their reasons
why it's important to have these integrity checks in the .deb itself,
not just on the installed system, but ... yeah.  Shipping md5sums of
conffiles is only a little bit more redundant than shipping md5sums
of the rest of the files.

--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/