Re: apt-diff: a tool to diff filesystem content against APT

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 12:52:28PM -0800, Tristan Schmelcher wrote:
> I find debsums to be too basic for my needs. apt-diff is my attempt to
> improve upon it. I often want to answer the question "how does package
> X on my machine compare to a pristine installation?" debsums only
> gives part of the answer. It can't check files that are missing
> md5sums (which includes a lot of conffiles)

Wrong.  If you configure debsum correctly following manpage, md5sums are
available for all packages.  Use -g option to initialize it and make
sure to set the debconf boolean value debsums/apt-autogen to be "true".
I understand that this is an exra hussle.

Making this easy is step in right direction as long as it is written in
effective way.  (In order to improve debsum, we should know it well.
Debsum tries to avoid downloading package as much as possible.)

> and when it finds a
> discrepancy I still need to manually download the package and diff the
> files myself.

Correct.

> apt-diff solves both problems. It also allows for
> checking by path instead of by package, which is useful when I want to
> check a whole directory tree that contains files from many packages.

I have no seen you code but it will be nice to get the best out of both.

Osamu