Re: apt-diff: a tool to diff filesystem content against APT

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:06:45AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 12:52:28PM -0800, Tristan Schmelcher wrote:
> > I find debsums to be too basic for my needs. apt-diff is my attempt to
> > improve upon it. I often want to answer the question "how does package
> > X on my machine compare to a pristine installation?" debsums only
> > gives part of the answer. It can't check files that are missing
> > md5sums (which includes a lot of conffiles)
                                     ~~~~~~~~~
> Wrong.

OOps..  I now see your point.  Sorry.

> If you configure debsum correctly following manpage, md5sums are
> available for all packages.  Use -g option to initialize it and make
> sure to set the debconf boolean value debsums/apt-autogen to be "true".
> I understand that this is an exra hussle.

This is talking about files missing md5sums due to packaging practice of
the maintainer.  conffiles are not debsums interest.

By the way, etckeeper is the way to track /etc history to me.  Some
conffile are generated by postinst.  So not all files in /etc are in
package as file.

> Making this easy is step in right direction as long as it is written in
> effective way.  (In order to improve debsum, we should know it well.
> Debsum tries to avoid downloading package as much as possible.

Osamu)