Re: New user and group name for inadyn package

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 10:05:05AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Marc Haber]
> > Many Debian-Packages use Debian-packagename as an account name to
> > avoid naming clashes. This is disputed though, so you may choose
> > differently. I'd name the account Debian-inadyn and live with the
> > fact that some tools handle the long user name suboptimally.
>
> Some of the tools are top and ps, which only list the uid (as if the
> user did not exist) if the username is longer than the POSIX lower
> limit of 8 characters long.  Ran into problems with the killer
> package.  It believed processes belonged to deleted users when it ran
> into processes owned by such users, and tried to kill them.
> Workaround is implemented there, but other packages might have similar
> problems.

Previously here, people has suggested that in some other unix distro
(FreeBSD?) naming of such account as _inadyn with preceding underscore
are used to avoid such name crash.  Although this seems more elegant
than Debian-inadyn, it is not yet established practice for Debian.

For now, we need to stick to Debian-inadyn style naming.

But I wish to have non-ugly account names adn hoping some one to push
such practices.

Cheers,

Osamu