Re: Buildd & binary-indep

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [100927 14:28]:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > But this whole discussion got boring something like 10 years ago. It's
> > a shame there is still no proper solution for that now.
>
> Yeah, the only one who submitted code has been Bill Allombert and he did
> it without following my recommendations so I have still not merged the
> required support...
>
> >From the whole discussion, relying on Standards-Version was not well
> accepted so the only sane way of doing it (and parsing make's output
> is not sane enough for me, even if debhelper does it) is to have the
> package explicitly record that it provides the required support in a
> new control field, something like "Build-Features".
>
> The not-so-evident part is that I want the syntax of this field to be
> sufficiently extensible so that we can encode more information like
> support of hardening build flags and similar stuff that we might want
> to know to adjust the behaviour at build time.

Yeah, it's one of those cases where perfectionism makes any progress
almost impossible and Debian's aversion against introducing rules
buries the last hope. A simple "Any package must support build-indep and
build-arch, not supporting it will be RC criticial but ignored for the next
two years" and we would have get rid of the problem 8 years ago.

	Bernhard R. Link