Re: Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 Debian Report

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 03:36:03PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I don't have an opinion about the GSOC.  I agree that Filipus's
> messages could be more tactful, but it is not appropriate to react to
> criticism of a lack of information by becoming defensive.

Let's be reasonable.  We're all volunteer and Arthur, as others, has
volunteered his own work for the past 3(?) GSoC editions as a Debian
admin. I've been doing that too in the past and I can guarantee that it
is quite some work. My work back then could have been way better than
what it was, with Steve having to cover up for me way more than I
initially expected.  Probably, Arthur's work could have been better too,
as there's often margin for improvements.

Criticism is welcome, as it's the first step to understand there's
something that should be improved. However, among volunteers, criticism
is much easier to receive (and hence useful!) when it's accompanied by
an offer for help. Criticism without such an offer might be useful too,
but usually needs a higher dose of tact. This is not because we "have to
be friends" but rather because, pragmatically, it maximizes the chances
that the criticism will have any useful effect.

Cheers.

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams