Re: For those who care about their packages in Debian

Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> writes:
> On 25/08/2010 10:02, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Uploading new versions of leaf software isn't *as* big of a disaster,
>> but it does mean that updates to that software that should go into
>> testing can't go through the normal testing process and have to go
>> through testing-proposed-updates, which is way riskier.  This isn't
>> good.  So for anything that's releasing with squeeze, please upload any
>> subsequent versions *not* aimed at squeeze to experimental instead.

> Hmhm, out of curiosity, why is t-p-u “way riskier”.

Mostly because there isn't any large pool of systems using t-p-u the way
there is for unstable, so the aging process where we get testing in
unstable before migrating the package never happens.  This means uploads
to t-p-u could potentially break more conservative testing users, which is
bad, and worse they're essentially going straight into a release
candidate, so depending on timing we could release with bad bugs.  It's
always better to get the unstable shakedown where possible.

> Would it be possible (at one point) to “fix” it and stop using unstable
> as t-p-u and experimental as unstable when freeze is in action?

We could try to get lots of people who normally use unstable to instead
test testing plus t-p-u, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to do so.  I
for example don't want to switch my unstable systems to testing plus t-p-u
for a variety of reasons.