Re: For those who care about their packages in Debian

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> I, and I suspect many other people who are working on packaging new
> software for their own reasons, am quite aware of the release and are
> trying to stay out of the way.

+1

Though I'm not currently packaging any new software during this freeze,
I've worked with people who are doing so, and in past freezes have done
so myself; and the above characterises the approach taken.

> If there's a specific reason why uploading completely new leaf
> packages to unstable causes problems for the release coordination,
> please do say so on debian-devel. I'm personally not seeing it
> off-hand, but I'm probably missing someting.

If packaging new software for Debian actually is causing problems, those
problems need to be addressed.

But the solution would best entail allowing ‘unstable’ to continue to be
used for the same purpose regardless of whether a freeze is currently
active, no?

I guess the answer to that depends on the question of how continuing to
use ‘unstable’ in the same way is causing problems, and why those
problems are manifesting during a freeze and not otherwise.

--
 \         “In any great organization it is far, far safer to be wrong |
  `\          with the majority than to be right alone.” —John Kenneth |