Re: More advanced home directory creation in Debian?

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> wrote:
> (My own preference would be to create all home directories as completely
> empty, not even using /etc/skel, and fix all applications that need a
> file to create one on demand.)

There's no "need" for any of the files in /etc/skel, so there's
nothing that needs fixing. /etc/skel these days is mostly
distro-specific defaults that users expect to see (a better PS1, for
example, or aliases like ls --color).

For that same reason, there's no need to update files in user
directories. Important stuff goes to login.defs or /etc/profile or
maybe elsewhere, you can have a very functional setup with zero files
in ~.

Regards,