Re: Non-recompilable binaries in source and binary packages (Adobe Flash strikes again)

Russ Allbery writes ("Re: Non-recompilable binaries in source and binary packages (Adobe Flash strikes again)"):
> Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> > If you have this situation you have to have two separate source
> > packages; one in main which builds only the free parts, and one in
> > non-free which builds only the non-free parts.
>
> I don't believe this is correct.  Source packages in main can build
> binaries in contrib, and I believe the problem with not being able to
> rebuild with free tools is more of a contrib thing than a non-free thing.

Well, some maintainers have been rebuilding source packages to remove
things like RFCs and non-free-GFDL documentation.  Perhaps not
everyone has.

> But I'm not certain, which is why I was hesitating to reply to the first
> message.

It looks like there's confusion in this area.  Perhaps policy could be
clarified.

Ian.