Re: Notes from the DebConf Source Format BoF

In data lunedì, 16. di agosto 2010 12:35:29, Ian Jackson ha scritto:
: > Adam Borowski writes ("Re: Notes from the DebConf Source Format BoF"):
> > On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:54:07PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > >     git://foo.bar.org/meow#debian
> >
> > At least, neither git clone, merge nor fetch understand that syntax.
>
> They could and should, however, be updated to do so.  (Why they don't
> is just one more mystery about git's atrocious user interface.)

A good complementary action would be to poke the respective developers to
establish at least provisional URI schemes at IANA [1] so that the semantics
of the URL components can be fixated. From my own experience doing so [2] it
was communicated to me that fragment identifiers (#foo) are somewhat
problematic when used beyond of document URLs. Similarly, SVN peg revisions
(@foo) were added as an afterthought rather than part of the initial SVN
designs which reuse file, HTTP and +SSH URI schemes, and similar issues might
affect other VCSs.

Josef

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes.html
[2] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/uri-review/current/msg00817.html