Re: Non-recompilable binaries in source and binary packages (Adobe Flash strikes again)

>> No.  There is no sensible way to do this.  The problem is inherent:
>> the binary packages in main have to be rebuildable using the source
>> package (and supporting binary packages eg compilers) in main.

>> If you have this situation you have to have two separate source
>> packages; one in main which builds only the free parts, and one in
>> non-free which builds only the non-free parts.

> I don't believe this is correct.  Source packages in main can build
> binaries in contrib, and I believe the problem with not being able to
> rebuild with free tools is more of a contrib thing than a non-free thing.

> But I'm not certain, which is why I was hesitating to reply to the first
> message.

Yes, you can have a source in main building a package in contrib,
provided the whole source and build process does only require main, and
its just the execution part that needs non-main stuff.
We have about one handful of packages in Debian doing this (yes, less
than 5, IIRC).

FTPMaster would love to get rid of this feature, as it does complicate
some handlings a little, for nearly no gain. :)

--
bye, Joerg
<buxy> I wish mrvn stopped supporting 3.0 (quilt), it's a recipe for failure