Re: Notes from the DebConf Source Format BoF

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 at 20:27:24 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> One issue with 3.0 (quilt) is that when you check it out when it's
> maintained in a VCS, you have two choices: commit the .pc directory and
> files, or leave it out and then have to run some magic
[...]
> - Why don't you just check in with patches not applied?
[...]
>   * You can do this with a rebased patch branch, but then you don't get
>     history on modifications to the patch.

I've been playing with gbp-pq for some of my packages, and I've been somewhat
pleased with it:

* debian (or debian-squeeze or master etc.) branch contains an unapplied patch
  series
* patch-queue/debian branch is continually rebased, never pushed, and contains
  the patch series applied on top of the debian branch; you build from here
* to track modifications to the patches, use git commands on the patches
  themselves
* the patches are already in a suitable form to submit upstream
* as long as you do DEP-3 headers as a footer rather a header (in the style
  of kernel Signed-off-by footers), they'll round-trip through the patch queue

The problem is that if you build from the patch-queue/debian branch, and
fix something in the debian directory, you have to cherry-pick those changes
onto the debian branch later, then rebase the patch queue on top, then
reconstitute the patch series.

    Simon