Re: libcairo2 in squeeze & subpixel rendering

Stanislav Maslovski <stanislav.maslovski@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 05:22:27PM +0200, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
>> Backporting the lcdfilter patch to 1.8.10 might be a solution for
>> squeeze though. If someone wants to provide a patch that doesn't add any
>> new public API I'd be fine with applying it to the unstable package...
>> at least if the release team agrees.
> I am pretty sure porting is doable and I think I can volunteer to do
> this. But before it, let us collect more opinions. It would be nice to
> know what does the release team think about it.

If the patch is reasonably small and is tested in unstable for some
time, it won't be a problem to do this. In the future, if you want a
reaction from the release team, sending mail to
debian-release@lists.debian.org will speed up things.

> BTW, suboptimal subpixel rendering of fonts in Debian is one of the
> reasons why many desktop users switch to other distros.

Yeah, right. They don't do it because other distros have the newest
bleeding edge features, but because they spend time on researching why
fonts in some applications are not looking perfect and then willingly
switch to a distribution which does proper subpixel rendering.

Have you *ever* spoken to normal desktop user?

Marc