Re: libcairo2 in squeeze & subpixel rendering

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 05:22:27PM +0200, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 18:27 +0400, Stanislav Maslovski wrote:
> > Thus, getting to the main point of this long e-mail: what are we going
> > to do with libcairo2 in squeeze? If we keep it at 1.8.10, I think it
> > makes sense to apply the above mentioned patch, because it has been
> > accepted by upstream and tested for quite a long time by other
> > distributions. Or are we going to wait for the next release of cairo
> > that might happen any time before squeeze releases, and then push it
> > into testig? This sounds less probable, knowing the usual Debian
> > practices.
>
> Hi,
> although cairo 1.10 is going to be released in a few days I don't think
> we should get this into squeeze now as there are many changes that might
> introduce regressions everywhere and I don't have the time to track them
> all right now. Also, people reported problems with some video drivers
> and in iceweasel recently.
>
> (OTOH I personally have no problems with cairo 1.9.14 and for me there
> are only improvements and I can't reproduce the bugs reported by others)
>
> Backporting the lcdfilter patch to 1.8.10 might be a solution for
> squeeze though. If someone wants to provide a patch that doesn't add any
> new public API I'd be fine with applying it to the unstable package...
> at least if the release team agrees.

I am pretty sure porting is doable and I think I can volunteer to do
this. But before it, let us collect more opinions. It would be nice to
know what does the release team think about it. BTW, suboptimal
subpixel rendering of fonts in Debian is one of the reasons why many
desktop users switch to other distros.

--
Stanislav