Support for creating installer packages

Hello,

lately, I created two packages that do little more than wrap software
written in a scripting language (one Java, one Perl) so I could put them
in a local repository for easy installation and deinstallation.

In both cases, I expect upstream versions to change often. So I will
probably find myself having to re-create new packages often. Also, in
both cases I treat the upstream software as a monolithic block, almost
like binaries. No diff between versions, may be no uupdate. Is there any
support for this download - extract - wrap procedure, some kind of dh_wrap?

And is there any Debian policy or standard procedure for such installer
packages that don't perform a make?

Thanks, Malte