Re: Non-recompilable binaries in source and binary packages (Adobe Flash strikes again)

On Thu Aug 12 11:51, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > No.  There is no sensible way to do this.  The problem is inherent:
> > the binary packages in main have to be rebuildable using the source
> > package (and supporting binary packages eg compilers) in main.
>
> > If you have this situation you have to have two separate source
> > packages; one in main which builds only the free parts, and one in
> > non-free which builds only the non-free parts.
>
> I don't believe this is correct.  Source packages in main can build
> binaries in contrib, and I believe the problem with not being able to
> rebuild with free tools is more of a contrib thing than a non-free thing.
>
> But I'm not certain, which is why I was hesitating to reply to the first
> message.

I think the difference here is between components which require
non-(free/debian) components to build and non-(free/debian) components to run.
It seems consistent, at least, that if you can build with only free tools then
the source package can be in main. If you can run with only free tools then the
binary package can be in main (although, of course, if you can build with
non-free tools but run with free tools, you still have to be in contrib).

If, as is the case here, the building can't be done in main, then it has to be
in contrib.

Matt