Re: Non-recompilable binaries in source and binary packages (Adobe Flash strikes again)

Le jeudi 12 août 2010, Charlie Smotherman a écrit :
> On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 20:31 +0200, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
>> I thought they were only failing one policy condition to be in the free
>> area, but not the DFSG. As the policy section 2.2.2 says:
>> > Every package in contrib must comply with the DFSG.
>>
>> So if such a non-recompilable, free-licensed binary fails the DFSG, it
>> should not even go to contrib, but to non-free!
>
> You may want to look at this thread
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/08/msg00082.html

I did. Especially to the message
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/08/msg00093.html>.

I am just a newbie, so I shall not risk myself to interpret the DFSG,
but, if not being compilable with free tools is a DFSG failure, then,
according to the policy section 2.2.2:
>> Every package in contrib must comply with the DFSG.
then, with no possible ambiguity, such tools should not go to contrib,
but to non-free.

Anyway, this is just pure curiosity, and I have time to discover that,
as I am not facing this exact problem with any package, but a slightly
different one: should I strip non-recompilable binaries only from the
binary package or from the original tarball?

--
Tanguy Ortolo