Re: Non-recompilable binaries in source and binary packages (Adobe Flash strikes again)

Le vendredi 13 août 2010, Lars Wirzenius a écrit :
> On to, 2010-08-12 at 20:31 +0200, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
>> Non-free? According to the DFSG, are not they free? I cannot see any
>> point of the DFSG that such a program, distributed both in source and
>> compiled form, with a free license, compilable only with non-free tools,
>> would infringe.
>
> There's at least two requirements for software included in Debian main:
>
> a) the license must be free according to the DFSG
> b) all binaries in main must be built only from sources in main, using
> only tools in main

I do agree. This is from the policy.

> To me, it sounds like you need to put your package into contrib,
> including its binary packages, until you can convince upstream to fix
> things so that they do not require non-free tools to build, or you
> convince the upstreams of the non-free tools to free their software.

I should rather strip the problematic file from the package, as it is
only a minor component, that one can very well live without, and that is
easy to install by other means.

--
Tanguy Ortolo