Re: Usage of /var/lib for databases not properly described in policy

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:29:39PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I just tried to give some advise about proper placement of database
> files in a Debian package and I was sure I could simply link to the
> relevant paragraph in policy but there is none.  Is the usage of
> /var/lib/<pkgname> just a reasonable habit which is shared by
> postgresql, mysql and probably others and I could for instance invent
> a directory

>     /var/my_super_duper_database

> and keep the data there?  I do not actually intend to do so, but
> shouldn't this be fixed somewhere in the policy.  FHS[1] is not
> giving any explicite advise here and so we can not relay on the
> predefinition there and thus should rather make our own.

> Or did I missed something?

  "Applications must generally not add directories to the top level of /var.
  Such directories should only be added if they have some system-wide
  implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing list."

  <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEVARHIERARCHY>