Usage of /var/lib for databases not properly described in policy

Hi,

I just tried to give some advise about proper placement of database
files in a Debian package and I was sure I could simply link to the
relevant paragraph in policy but there is none.  Is the usage of
/var/lib/<pkgname> just a reasonable habit which is shared by
postgresql, mysql and probably others and I could for instance invent
a directory

    /var/my_super_duper_database

and keep the data there?  I do not actually intend to do so, but
shouldn't this be fixed somewhere in the policy.  FHS[1] is not
giving any explicite advise here and so we can not relay on the
predefinition there and thus should rather make our own.

Or did I missed something?

Kind regards

     Andreas.

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html