Re: libcairo2 in squeeze & subpixel rendering

Stanislav Maslovski <stanislav.maslovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am pretty sure porting is doable and I think I can volunteer to do
> this. But before it, let us collect more opinions. It would be nice to
> know what does the release team think about it. BTW, suboptimal
> subpixel rendering of fonts in Debian is one of the reasons why many
> desktop users switch to other distros.

I actually switched back *to* Debian from Ubuntu because I found the
font rendering in Ubuntu totally horrible. Especially in Firefox
fonts were really blurry and last time I checked they still haven't
fixed it.

By choosing the "Autohinter" option in "dpkg-reconfigure
fontconfig-config" (which is also broken in Ubuntu) and enabling
full hinting I actually like the rendering very much in Debian. At
least using the DejaVu fonts which I basically have everywhere.

Sebastian