Re: When the init.d script exits [typo fixed], the service should be operational

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 07:02:12PM +0200, Josef Spillner wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 3. August 2010, 18:24:09 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> > ... only between services that have declared a dependency relationship,
> > which should obviously *not* be started in parallel.

> In the example given by Petter, dhcpd runtime-depends on pdns through some
> configuration option. This is not a package dependency.

I didn't say package dependency.

The only reason this question arises is *because* one service may depend on
another to be started first.  If there is no dependency relationship
*between the services*, they may *already* be started in parallel; so
requiring the service to be running before the init script returns neither
impacts parallelization in that case, nor benefits services whose init
scripts don't specify dependencies.

> What am I missing here?

Common sense, which dictates that whatever interface a service promises,
that interface should be available before the init script returns a
successful exit code to the caller.