Re: Stepping the clock during boot

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 04:24:52PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Would it be unacceptable for Chrony to step the clock (particularly
> back) during boot?  This would only happen when the clock was at least
> 30 seconds off but I'm concerned that it might screw some of the daemons
> that might already have started.  If Chrony can't step the clock it
> would have to slew it (which can take hours for large errors) or give
> up.  This would only happen on rare occasions.

I think it's better to risk tripping buggy daemons rather than accept the
clock being set to 2007.  And most of those which are likely to be run early
during bootup have already been fixed.

The most likely source of problems is ext3 in its default settings -- but
hey, those default settings the last time I looked still included gems like
"let's randomly DoS the machine for 15 mins during boot just in case" or
"let's throw out 50GB of space because having 1MB reserved had been
beneficial in the 1970s on massively multiuser systems".

I think it's be worthy to try stepping to see if something breaks down
badly, so we can fix it.

Meow!
--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be