Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:49:00PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Brian May writes ("Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number  of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling"):
> > I would really like to see a HTML/HTTP browser based interface for the
> > BTS. I would have several advantages:
>
> I would strongly resist any such suggestion, for the reasons I have
> already explained.
>
> In summary: We don't have a lack of bug reports, we have a lack of
> developer time.  Increasing the number of bug reports will take away
> developer time for triage, for no benefit.
>
> Simply, we do not need to, and should not, make reporting bugs easier.

An HTTP interface for /manipulating/ (not necessarily submitting)
bugs would be a huge timesaver for me at least.  If I'm working
through the list of bugs in a package and setting tags, for example,
sending mail after mail to control@bugs (or even using bts) is
an inefficient use of my time.  Simply ticking a tag and submitting
the changes á la bugzilla is much quicker and with instant feedback
(I don't need to check all the mail replies to make sure the
operation succeeded, and I don't need to carefully compose a
mail with the correct syntax or spend time copying and pasting bug
numbers and other details onto the command line).  The same applies
to other common BTS operations.

While it's very useful to do all BTS operations by mail, mail is
not the be-all and end-all of BTS interaction.  I do find I spend
most of my time browsing bugs using the web interface, and being
able to submit changes (and even attach patches and comments)
would save me a lot of time, which translates to being able to do
more Debian work in the time I have available.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh