Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On 26 July 2010 03:32, Will <ay1244@gmail.com> wrote:
> Additionally, an HTTP interface to reportbug would be a good idea.
> Many new users find it difficult or unnecessary to set up an MTA when
> they first install, so allowing to use some kind of HTTP interface
> would be very nice indeed.

I would really like to see a HTML/HTTP browser based interface for the
BTS. I would have several advantages:

* Practically everyone has a web browser that is set up and works.
Yes, some companies do filter HTTP requests due to paranoia - these
companies probably also block other ports too.

* A good setup would mean I can make changes to bug reports and get
instant feedback on what happened.

* Yes, the "bts" command in devscripts does help get these emails
correct, but there is still room to make mistakes, and with the
current setup you have to wait a long time to find out you got
something wrong. By this stage I have gone on to the next task, and
find it a big disruption.

* Can centrally maintain list of questions asked for given package.

* E-Mail only system makes the Debian BTS look arcade to outsiders,
even if it does have unique features that make it stand out from
alternatives (e.g. version tracking).

The one downside I see, is that it is going to be harder, especially
for new users, to give the detailed system information that apparently
can be helpful for some maintainers. So such a system is possibly can
never be a replacement for the traditional reportbug.

The last point (above) may seem cosmetic, however this is a discussion
on getting more Debian users, and may be an important reason people
avoid Debian.
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>