Re: teaching users how to submit good bug reports

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:03:04 -0500, Ron Johnson
<ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>On 07/24/2010 02:06 PM, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> And then there is the (nowadays perceived) problem that reportbug needs a
>> working MTA setup or at least outgoing traffic on port 25/587. Both ports are
>> blocked on almost all my machines, so I still have not much bothered with
>> reportbug. (I'd use it for when a maintainer tells me to use it as it will
>> collect some information automatically, but thats it.)
>
>For at least a couple of years, reportbug has been able to send mail
>via the user's ISP's smtp server, just like he sends "regular" email.

From where does reportbug obtain that information? How does it cope
with corporate installations where the only means of submitting mail
from a regular workstation is Notes or MAPI?

Even resorting to port 80 will not help in the case where there is a
non-transparent http proxy in use since reportbug would have to ask
for the proxy data. And it will probably fail if that proxy demands
user authentication.

Greetings
Marc