Re: teaching users how to submit good bug reports

Hi,

On Donnerstag, 22. Juli 2010, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > So, point 2: are we *advertising* reportbug enough to our users?
>
> Perhaps not, but it's literally the very first thing listed on
>
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
>
> which is linked from http://www.debian.org and the first result for
> reporting bugs in debian, and the second for debian bug.
>
> What would probably be useful is if people like your friend who didn't
> know about reportbug first were asked what steps they'd take (or
> actually did take) to try to report bugs in the first place.

I have reported bugs for several years until I first heard about^w^wnoticed
reportbug. I guess the reason is/was: that page first tells you very briefly
to install a new tool (which then forces me to learn something new) and then
it explains in easy steps how to report a bug using a technique I already
know: by sending an email. And thats what I have been doing ever since then.

(When having the chance to do something using known or unknown techniques,
most people will choose the known way.)

And then there is the (nowadays perceived) problem that reportbug needs a
working MTA setup or at least outgoing traffic on port 25/587. Both ports are
blocked on almost all my machines, so I still have not much bothered with
reportbug. (I'd use it for when a maintainer tells me to use it as it will
collect some information automatically, but thats it.)

reportbug-ng works well on my laptop (but it's not in lenny, so no cookie for
me (as someday I stopped backporting it)), but most of my systems dont have a
GUI neither.

So, to summarize: a.) I still think reportbug should be able to submit bugs
using port 80 and b.) IMHO reportbug-ng should be installed by the default
desktop task.

cheers,
	Holger