Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 04:13:15PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:30:36 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> Yes. We have parallel versions of the netinst images that include
>> firmware packages.
>
>That's a great start.  However, Patrick is advocating images that
>autodetect and install drivers/packages for non-free hardware as well
>(not just firmware).  That could probably be solved straightforwardly
>if someone were to just go ahead implement it; perhaps by someone
>already expressing interest in it???
>
>BTW, where are the non-free images at?  They don't appear to be
>available from cdimage.debian.org [0] or from the debian-installer page.
>
>[0] http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/squeeze_di_alpha1/i386/iso-cd/

They've only been added as an option after alpha 1. See

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/sid_d-i/arch-latest/i386/iso-cd/

but I'll be moving them to a different location on cdimage.d.o some
time before release.

< sladen> I actually stayed in a hotel and arrived to find a post-it
          note stuck to the mini-bar saying "Paul: This fridge and
          fittings are the correct way around and do not need altering"