Re: A lot of pending packages

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:17:00AM +0200, Andreas Marschke wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 00:58 +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 06:01:27 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >
> > > My 2nd suggestion is coming from the Maemo platform (the OS behind
> > > the Nokia n900 that is Debian based). In Maemo, there is a "devel"
> > > repository that includes apps that aren't necessarily in good shape. The
> > > users know that fact when they are adding the repository which contains
> > > packages that are not necessarily as tested, and wont complain.
> >
> > I understand that this new archive area  would be "non-offical", but
> > still my fear is that users won't distinguish and those packages
> > would be considered as "Debian packages" and might have the risk of
> > shedding a bad light on Debian quality.

Indeed, I remember some discussions to have something similar to Ubuntu's PPA,
the idea could some nice, but when I see a lot of ubuntu users complaining on
IRC channels when a PPA package is broken the idea does not sound good.

We already have a lot of users getting confuse and taking non-free as a
something that is a full part of Debian, having a service that allow $RANDOM
quality packages could be taken on the same way.

> I'm not a DD but I'm thinking that we could rather utilize experimental
> for such things. For one thing it is OBVIOUSLY NOT recommended to use
> packages from experimental if all you want is a stable Debian. But it is
> still a place to EXPERIMENT with new and yet untested packages. So new
> and fresh package maintainers can try themselves out in experimental
> rather than cross fingers that enough people found out about this
> _unofficial_ repository.

Experimental has already one reason to exists, and this _new_ approach will not
suit there.

Cheers

--
René Mayorga