Re: A lot of pending packages

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 00:58 +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 06:01:27 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
> > My 2nd suggestion is coming from the Maemo platform (the OS behind
> > the Nokia n900 that is Debian based). In Maemo, there is a "devel"
> > repository that includes apps that aren't necessarily in good shape. The
> > users know that fact when they are adding the repository which contains
> > packages that are not necessarily as tested, and wont complain.
>
> I'm not sure I like this idea. Although I also sometimes install
> "inoffical packages", when I look at the packages with RC bugs I'm
> constantly suprised about the amount of low-quality packages we
> already have in the archive (when poor lintian has to emit page after
> page of errors and warnings ...).
>
> I understand that this new archive area  would be "non-offical", but
> still my fear is that users won't distinguish and those packages
> would be considered as "Debian packages" and might have the risk of
> shedding a bad light on Debian quality.
Hi!

I'm not a DD but I'm thinking that we could rather utilize experimental
for such things. For one thing it is OBVIOUSLY NOT recommended to use
packages from experimental if all you want is a stable Debian. But it is
still a place to EXPERIMENT with new and yet untested packages. So new
and fresh package maintainers can try themselves out in experimental
rather than cross fingers that enough people found out about this
_unofficial_ repository.

Any objections? If so please let me know.

Cheers,

Andreas Marschke.