Re: dash Debian package - RC bugs

Hi Ben,

On 29 April 2010 12:15, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:24:32AM -0500, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> [...]
>> A quick workaround to bypass the check, in case you want to upload
>> already, would be to: ddivert=dpkg; ddivert="${ddivert}-divert";
>> $ddivert --remove ...
>>
>> [1] http://git.debian.org/?p=users/geissert/dash.git;a=summary
>
> Why aren't you talking to ftp-master about this, or using the
> alternative suggested in <http://bugs.debian.org/575361#10>?

Please read the rest of the discussion.

If we start using --package and there's a local diversion in place and
the user say she/he wants to switch to dash (or debconf thinks that's
the answer) dpkg-divert would error out and leave dash unconfigured.

Yes, that's an option that would show an error message explaining the
situation, but in case of large non-interactive setups (see the
theoretical case of [1]) somebody would have to manually remove the
local diversion. Actually, pretty much the same would happen once bash
is the one prompting and diverting /bin/sh; so we still need to find a
solution.

Any dpkg maintainer reading? Raphaël? Guillem?

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=575361#38

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer