Re: dash Debian package - RC bugs

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 09:13:04PM +0100, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> I'm looking for volunteers that are willing to help with maintaining
> dash.  Most of the work is relaying bug reports to upstream, judging and
> including prospective fixes if upstream is unresponsive, preparing
> patches for bugs, and the usual bug reports management.
>
> dash has outstanding RC bugs.  Some are a left-over from the /bin/sh
> transition from bash to dash, and still unresolved.  IIRC Thorsten
> Glaser had some ideas on how to proceed, but we never discussed anything
> in this regard.  Luk Claes and Raphael Geissert were involved in
> initiating the transition, but seem to no longer be able to contribute
> to the resulting RC bugs.
>
>  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=538822
>
> I set up a mailing list to coordinate work on the dash package.  If
> you're interested in helping, please subscribe to the
> <debian-package-dash> mailing list by sending an email to
> <debian-package-dash-subscribe@list.smarden.org>, and start to discuss
> and contribute.  Thanks for your help.

Hi, unfortunately my email didn't attract many contributors, i.e. no one
but Raphael subscribed to the list.

Raphael sent a mail rudimentarily stating how to proceed.  I must
confess, I don't really understand the plan, or why it should be done
this way.  But I might miss information since I was not available when
the /bin/sh transition was discussed, planned, and initiated.

Not standing behind the plan, I'm not about to implement it.  And it
looks like nobody else is doing it either.  If there's no progress
within the next weeks, I most probably will rollback the changes, and
possibly simply change the debconf question's default from no to yes.  I
have ideas about different ways to implement the real /bin/sh transition
from bash to dash, but don't want to invest time as long as the
situation is not clear.  I guess it's too late for squeeze anyway to
start a complete new implementation.

Regards, Gerrit.