Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

#include <hallo.h>
* Raphael Hertzog [Sun, Mar 28 2010, 10:51:38AM]:

> > As far as I can understand, this is entirely compatible with “absence of
> > ‘debian/source/format’ always means the package is in “1.0” source
> > format” since that has no implication that “1.0” is blessed or
> > recommended in any way. To that extent, I welcome this policy.
>
> Please stop misinterpreting what I say. There's a default value currently
> and it's "1.0", and I want to remove the existence of a default value in
> the long term because it does not make sense to have a default value
> corresponding to a source format that is no longer recommended.

I, for one, consider abusing Lintian checks for "recommendations" a very
bad idea. Especially if you use _warnings_ for that. To warn about what?
Something that just works without needing any change? Very funny.

If you really want to _recommend_ something then please add a few lines
to dpkg-dev or debhelper tools output. And they should only appear when
changing the format might be beneficial, i.e. when the .../format file
is missing but debian/patches is present. Or if the debian/watch file
refers to .bz2. Such usecase based advertising would be much more
effective and more nice to live with.

Regards,
Eduard.