Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

On 25/03/2010 20:12, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> - I'm still undecided whether I will change the default format in
>   dpkg-source but obviously once all packages provide
>   debian/source/format, I will be able to make the change without much bad
>   impact.

What is the use case of a default format if all packages provide
debian/source/format ?
  Can we avoid to put a debian/source/format in our package if we agree
to change our format when default in dpkg change ? (we must ensure that
our package works with both format in this case)
  If yes, then what is the meaning of the lintian check ? (if no, then
I really would want a use case of the default format)

  Or can we use 'default' in debian/source/format ? (we would have to
distinguish default(native) and default(non-native)...)

> - the adoption rate of the new format is pretty good but that's also
>   because I promoted it a lot so that maintainers currently have it in
>   their mind when updating their packages. Having lintian remind them for
>   packages where they have not yet decided which format to use is a good
>   thing to keep the steady rate.
>   http://upsilon.cc/~zack/stuff/dpkg-v3/

I better agree on this argument.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87