Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

> And the lintian warning goes away by explicitly setting source format to
> 1, so that's not standardizing on the "set of improved source formats"
> /anyway/, that's just nagging maintainers to make a change to their
> packages that AFAICS only helps your real goal if they actually
> *convert* the package to 3.0 in the process.  I think trying to use
> lintian as a cudgel here is counterproductive, particularly so long as
> the 3.0 format is still not supported as well as 1.0 by all the
> peripheral packaging tools.

I don't believe Lintian is being used as a cudgel here.  I'm one of the
people who does not currently plan to convert many of my packages to the
3.0 format, so I'm a bit sensitive to that.  I think Lintian is being
proactive in helping people avoid surprises should the dpkg-dev default
change, which to me seems like a good thing to do.

The question of whether to change the dpkg-dev default is, of course, a
separate discussion, but *were* it to change, I would want to ensure that
several of my packages still use the 1.0 format anyway.

The long tag description probably could be improved to make it clearer
that the intention isn't to be a cudgel.