Re: Removing the manpage requirement for GUI programs?

On jeu., 2010-03-04 at 22:54 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Letting alone policy issues: what do you propose, *concretely* to
> > improve the situation?
>
> The situation is as it is: many commands lack proper manual pages. I
> don't propose to change the existing approach for dealing with this:
> file bug reports, work with upstream to have properly maintained
> manpages, close the bug reports as fixed when that happens.

My upstream position is exactly what started the thread: no need to have
duplicate information between --help and manpage, --help strings are
easily translatable (and translated), and they are more likely to be up
to date. And we discussed that, and I agree with them, having manpages
for every tiny script running this or that will not improve
documentation. But this is not true for a lot of apps, though, which
have good manpages and will continue to have them.

> The bug remains a bug, and I don't think closing the report is
> appropriate in the absence of proper manpages. In many existing cases,
> Debian maintainers take on that burden of maintaining proper manpages.
> That burden ideally rests on upstream's shoulders, but if they're
> unwilling, that doesn't resolve the bug.

And that means yet another useless bug crippling the package BTS page,
which makes it's harder to use. But, yes, the bug remains a bug.

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis