Re: Removing the manpage requirement for GUI programs?

Le jeudi 04 mars 2010 à 09:07 +1100, Ben Finney a écrit :
> It's already been pointed out that good manpages are plenty useful for
> those programs in the proposed exclusion class. The “should” applies
> equally well to those programs too.
>
> Sure, some programs don't have good manpages. But that's because the
> manpages are not well maintained; it's not because the program belongs
> to some special class that makes manpages useless.

Letting alone policy issues: what do you propose, *concretely* to
improve the situation?

Currently when you use “man foo” on a GUI program, you have 50% chances
to see an incorrect documentation. And so far nobody seems interested in
writing this documentation, let alone maintaining it.

So far the only thing that I can conclude from this “discussion” (just a
gathering of rants, actually) is that we should just remove manual pages
that are not maintained upstream and tag all related bugs wontfix.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :