Re: Removing the manpage requirement for GUI programs?

Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> writes:

> On jeu., 2010-03-04 at 22:54 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > file bug reports, work with upstream to have properly maintained
> > manpages, close the bug reports as fixed when that happens.
>
> My upstream position is exactly what started the thread: no need to
> have duplicate information between --help and manpage

Don't do that, then. A good manpage is much more than just a duplicate
of ‘--help’, as already discussed elsewhere in this thread.

> --help strings are easily translatable (and translated),

I can't speak to this as I don't know the relative difficulty of
translating manpages as compared to other text. I would think using an
easily-edited source format like reST or DocBook would make this much
easier for everyone, including the primary authors.

> And we discussed that, and I agree with them, having manpages for
> every tiny script running this or that will not improve documentation.

On the contrary, the unified manpage database with every command
documented is useful for its own sake. Also as described elsewhere in
this thread.

--
 \      “We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just |
  `\                                 stuff that works.” —Douglas Adams |