Re: New Menu category Applictions/Multimedia

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 01:54:43PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 15 février 2010 à 13:10 +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> > > The problem is not to implement this; it already exists. The problem is
> > > that maintainers don???t fill these fields properly. I mean, even KDE
> > > developers don???t.
> >
> > So we need to fire up reportbug, right?
>
> Hint: filing bugs doesn’t guarantee they will be fixed.

Neither does ranting, but filing bugs gives you a better chance that
they are :-)

> > No I mean a simple on of switch between "Show all entries" / "Show
> > reduced set of entries".
>
> It would be useless. No one needs a menu with 200 applications, because
> such a menu is not usable.

Sigh.

What is "usable" depends to a high extent on the "user".

What doesn't exist is even less usable than what does exist but is hard
to find. Therefore, I claim that a poorly-designed menu, but with all
options, is more usable for a particular subset of users that does not
include mythical grandmothers than a better designed menu that strips
off half the options.

Having to manually add hundreds of options to a menu, for each and every
user, is hardly helpful. A simple on/off switch would indeed be useful
-- and I don't even care what the default is, so long as the switch is
easy to find.

trying to fool the system.