Re: New Menu category Applictions/Multimedia

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:32:39AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > IMHO the best solution to this (unavoidable) problem is to enable a
> > configuration feature controled by some kind of priority tag in the
> > desktop files.  This should say something like "display me on Gnome",
> > "display me on KDE",
>
> You mean like the NoDisplay, OnlyShowIn and NotShowIn fields?

Probably.  Thanks for underlaying the idea with real facts.

> The problem is not to implement this; it already exists. The problem is
> that maintainers don???t fill these fields properly. I mean, even KDE
> developers don???t.

So we need to fire up reportbug, right?

> > ... and the user should be presented with a
> > configuration option what menu entry priority he wants to see.
>
> You mean a menu editor?

No I mean a simple on of switch between "Show all entries" / "Show
reduced set of entries".

> >   IMHO the
> > default configuration on Debian should be set to all to comply with the
> > original menu behaviour.
>
> Certainly not. The original menu behavior completely sucks.

I have no strong opinion about this, but hiding applications from
the menu does not very reasonable to me.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de