Re: Flag images

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 08:53:56AM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On lun., 2010-02-15 at 12:03 -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Flags are a poor representation of a particular language, and language
> > selection is better handled using locales and content-negotiation
> > anyway. [There are many examples where a country speaks many
> > languages, and examples where multiple countries have the same
> > language, but different dialects.]
>
> But flags (as an image) /are/ a quick way to identify a locale. Sometime
> they don't exactly overlap, thus the above problem, but they are still
> useful. Maybe not in content-negotiation, but for example to switch
> between locales easily, to switch keyboard mapping, to ask for some
> content different from the current locales, etc.

And fwiw major software vendors have managed to overcome this trepidation
and include flag icons for such purposes.

I for one would love to get little flag icons back for displaying my
keyboard layouts, as it's visually much quicker/easier to identify than
looking for a two/three character piece of text on my task bar.

	sean